Updated May 14, 2013 - 6:08 pm
Kiper: Ka'Deem Carey third-best RB prospect for 2014 draft
A consensus All-American after leading the country with 1,929 rushing yards to go along with 23 touchdowns, Carey is now on the NFL radar.
According to ESPN NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr., Carey is the third-best running back prospect for the 2014 draft.
Extraordinarily productive in 2012, Carey piled up a whopping 1,929 yards rushing. He does it by exploding upfield when he gets a seam, and running through arm tackles with good pad level and strong leg drive and determination. Carey looks like an early-impact NFL running back because of the way he reads plays, and puts his foot in the ground to get vertical and maximize yards when they're available. His 6.4 yards per carry last season is impressive given he does a good job of taking what the blocking offers, but he also has an extra gear in the open field and can run away from defenders.
The thought that Carey may not be long for the college game is not a novel one, as anyone with the kind of success he's had would surely consider going to the next level.
And if the Tucson product replicates his 2012 season in 2013, odds are he'll be among the first players to have their name called by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on draft night.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.