Updated May 6, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Arizona coach Rodriguez says Jesse Scroggins is in QB mix
As it pertains to the Arizona Wildcats, they have as many as five heading into the summer, with no fewer than four having a legitimate shot at earning the starting job.
Senior B.J. Denker would appear to have an early edge, but USC transfer Jesse Scroggins could find his way onto the field with a productive summer and fall. Sophomore Javelle Allen and freshman Anu Solomon also could cigure into the mix.
But it's Scroggins, with the cannon arm and major program experience, who might be the most intriguing.
"He has a chance (to play)," Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said during Pac-12 coaches conference call Monday.
Scroggins, who attended El Camino Junior College last season, underwent foot surgery in the offseason and just started to get back on the field in time for the spring game. He completed six of 17 passes for 44 yards with two touchdowns and one interception on the afternoon.
"Jesse's come in with a real good attitude," Rodriguez added. "I think he knew this was kind of his last chance, he had bounced around a little bit.
"I think he's matured, understands that this is an opportunity for him to prove himself all over again, and I've been really pleased with the way he's jumped in and tried to learn the system and been a good teammate and competed for the job."
The coach said the summer will be important for Scroggins, as he'll need to continue to learn the offense as the team gets ready for the regular season.
"When August gets here he's going to be right in the mix," he said. "We'll see how quickly he can pick it up."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.