Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 10:51 am
Arizona Wildcats to play BYU at University of Phoenix Stadium
The game in Glendale will be played in 2016, and it will be followed by a matchup in Tucson in 2018 and Provo, Utah in 2020.
"Our Phoenix-area fan base is an important part of our Arizona Athletics community," Arizona athletics director Greg Byrne said. "We're excited to announce our series with BYU and especially playing the first game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale in 2016. These three games will provide the coaches, student-athletes and fans of both Arizona and BYU with a great regional match-up. I look forward to working with BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe to further promote this series and providing an exciting atmosphere for our fans."
The Wildcats are 12-9-1 all-time against BYU, with the most recent meeting being a 31-21 Arizona win at the Las Vegas Bowl in 2008.
The game in Glendale against BYU will be Arizona's first against a non-ASU team since January 1, 1994, when the Wildcats beat Miami 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl.
"We're very excited to have a game in Phoenix," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of Arizona fans and supporters in the Valley and this is great for them. I also think this is a great series with BYU, a program with a lot of tradition. I think this match-up will have regional and national interest."
The announcement came via a Google+ Hangout.
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.