Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 10:51 am
Arizona Wildcats to play BYU at University of Phoenix Stadium
The game in Glendale will be played in 2016, and it will be followed by a matchup in Tucson in 2018 and Provo, Utah in 2020.
"Our Phoenix-area fan base is an important part of our Arizona Athletics community," Arizona athletics director Greg Byrne said. "We're excited to announce our series with BYU and especially playing the first game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale in 2016. These three games will provide the coaches, student-athletes and fans of both Arizona and BYU with a great regional match-up. I look forward to working with BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe to further promote this series and providing an exciting atmosphere for our fans."
The Wildcats are 12-9-1 all-time against BYU, with the most recent meeting being a 31-21 Arizona win at the Las Vegas Bowl in 2008.
The game in Glendale against BYU will be Arizona's first against a non-ASU team since January 1, 1994, when the Wildcats beat Miami 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl.
"We're very excited to have a game in Phoenix," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of Arizona fans and supporters in the Valley and this is great for them. I also think this is a great series with BYU, a program with a lot of tradition. I think this match-up will have regional and national interest."
The announcement came via a Google+ Hangout.
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?