Updated Apr 12, 2013 - 10:51 am
Arizona Wildcats to play BYU at University of Phoenix Stadium
The game in Glendale will be played in 2016, and it will be followed by a matchup in Tucson in 2018 and Provo, Utah in 2020.
"Our Phoenix-area fan base is an important part of our Arizona Athletics community," Arizona athletics director Greg Byrne said. "We're excited to announce our series with BYU and especially playing the first game at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale in 2016. These three games will provide the coaches, student-athletes and fans of both Arizona and BYU with a great regional match-up. I look forward to working with BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe to further promote this series and providing an exciting atmosphere for our fans."
The Wildcats are 12-9-1 all-time against BYU, with the most recent meeting being a 31-21 Arizona win at the Las Vegas Bowl in 2008.
The game in Glendale against BYU will be Arizona's first against a non-ASU team since January 1, 1994, when the Wildcats beat Miami 29-0 in the Fiesta Bowl.
"We're very excited to have a game in Phoenix," Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. "We have a lot of Arizona fans and supporters in the Valley and this is great for them. I also think this is a great series with BYU, a program with a lot of tradition. I think this match-up will have regional and national interest."
The announcement came via a Google+ Hangout.
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.