Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 8:16 am
Former Chaparral HS star Davonte' Neal transferring to Arizona
Neal - a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year in Arizona during the 2010 and 2011 seasons as a high school player - welcomed his daughter, Baylee, to the world on Feb. 2. While he had been satisfied with his well-thought out college decision by taking his talents to South Bend with a post-National Signing Day signature, he felt an internal struggle that urged him to return back home.
Neal was primarily used as a punt returner in his freshman season in South Bend, averaging 2.2 yards on 21 returns. He also ran the ball once for seven yards and caught one pass for a five-yard loss.
Neal eventually chose Notre Dame over numerous scholarship offers from the likes of Arizona State, Auburn, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon and USC.
"The primary reason I chose Arizona was because it was close to my family and my daughter can come see me everyday - that was the most important to me and having that family support," Neal said. "The way Coach Rodriguez throws the ball around is amazing. They do it the entire game. I'll have an opportunity to play inside and outside receiver in the offense. He does know how to get the ball in his players' hands and from there they make plays."
According to the report, Neal plans on applying for a hardship waiver that if approved, would make him eligible to play for the Wildcats this fall.
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.