Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 8:16 am
Former Chaparral HS star Davonte' Neal transferring to Arizona
Neal - a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year in Arizona during the 2010 and 2011 seasons as a high school player - welcomed his daughter, Baylee, to the world on Feb. 2. While he had been satisfied with his well-thought out college decision by taking his talents to South Bend with a post-National Signing Day signature, he felt an internal struggle that urged him to return back home.
Neal was primarily used as a punt returner in his freshman season in South Bend, averaging 2.2 yards on 21 returns. He also ran the ball once for seven yards and caught one pass for a five-yard loss.
Neal eventually chose Notre Dame over numerous scholarship offers from the likes of Arizona State, Auburn, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon and USC.
"The primary reason I chose Arizona was because it was close to my family and my daughter can come see me everyday - that was the most important to me and having that family support," Neal said. "The way Coach Rodriguez throws the ball around is amazing. They do it the entire game. I'll have an opportunity to play inside and outside receiver in the offense. He does know how to get the ball in his players' hands and from there they make plays."
According to the report, Neal plans on applying for a hardship waiver that if approved, would make him eligible to play for the Wildcats this fall.
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- A Wildcat remembers his favorite memories of the Territorial Cup
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.