Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 5:38 pm
Arizona coach: Ka'Deem Carey working to get back in good graces
Then again, why wouldn't he be?
As a sophomore, Carey rushed for a school record -- and nation-best -- 1,929 yards to go along with 23 touchdowns. A consensus All-American, the running back carried the Wildcats to a surprising 8-win season.
However, his offseason has not been as successful. In early January it was learned Carey was set to face charges stemming from a domestic violence incident, and just weeks later he was kicked out of a UA basketball game.
His future with the team was a bit tenuous.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday, Rodriguez said Carey has worked hard to restore his image and the coach's faith in him.
"Ka'Deem is doing all the things he's supposed to do in order to get back in good graces with the program and to, frankly, try to get people to understand who he is," Rodriguez said. "And I like Ka'Deem. He works hard, but he's made some mistakes and he knows that.
"But I told him the biggest travesty is that people, a lot of people now have a certain perception of him and that's not who he is."
Rodriguez, though, said Carey has no one to blame but himself for how people are viewing him, and has embraced the challenge to make things right.
"He doesn't think the world's out to get him," the coach said. "He's never shown a sense of entitlement, that's what bothered me so much from that one incident (the basketball game), that's not who he is and how he comes to work or nothing like that."
But it's up to Carey to show people he's not the guy they think he is.
"He's got to get that perception off him but he's got to do it himself, through his actions and how he goes about his day-to-day living," Rodriguez said. "We don't think we have anybody in our program that acts with a sense of entitlement because we won't allow it, but there's sometimes with guys' actions, it shows a certain way and they've got to correct it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.