Updated Dec 20, 2012 - 12:56 pm
Arizona Wildcats RB Daniel Jenkins to transfer
According to Anthony Gimino's 'Wildcat Report', the junior told head coach Rich Rodgriguez Monday he is looking to transfer.
Jenkins had graduated two days earlier, earning a degree in 3 1/2 years in public policy and management, focusing on criminal justice. His minor was in business.
What that degree in hand, and one year of eligibility left, Jenkins is free to transfer to another FootballChampionship Subdivision school without having to sit out a year. It was that or stay at Arizona and face another season of limited opportunity behind consensus All-American Ka'Deem Carey.
Jenkins rushed for 293 yards and two touchdowns as Carey's backup this season, and proved to be a valuable member of Arizona's backfield. However, with just one year left to play in college, Jenkins felt it would be best to play for a school that could offer a larger role on the field.
The report notes that Rodriguez told Jenkins he would like for the running back to stay, but understood why he was asking to leave.
"I have only one year to show the world what I've got," Jenkins said.
"This was just a personal decision for my career. It was something I had to do. It was not something I wanted to do."
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Arizona AD Greg Byrne asks Twitter for feedback on scoreboard
- What the magazines are saying about Arizona Wildcats football
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.