Updated Dec 20, 2012 - 12:56 pm
Arizona Wildcats RB Daniel Jenkins to transfer
According to Anthony Gimino's 'Wildcat Report', the junior told head coach Rich Rodgriguez Monday he is looking to transfer.
Jenkins had graduated two days earlier, earning a degree in 3 1/2 years in public policy and management, focusing on criminal justice. His minor was in business.
What that degree in hand, and one year of eligibility left, Jenkins is free to transfer to another FootballChampionship Subdivision school without having to sit out a year. It was that or stay at Arizona and face another season of limited opportunity behind consensus All-American Ka'Deem Carey.
Jenkins rushed for 293 yards and two touchdowns as Carey's backup this season, and proved to be a valuable member of Arizona's backfield. However, with just one year left to play in college, Jenkins felt it would be best to play for a school that could offer a larger role on the field.
The report notes that Rodriguez told Jenkins he would like for the running back to stay, but understood why he was asking to leave.
"I have only one year to show the world what I've got," Jenkins said.
"This was just a personal decision for my career. It was something I had to do. It was not something I wanted to do."
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.