Updated Dec 20, 2012 - 12:56 pm
Arizona Wildcats RB Daniel Jenkins to transfer
According to Anthony Gimino's 'Wildcat Report', the junior told head coach Rich Rodgriguez Monday he is looking to transfer.
Jenkins had graduated two days earlier, earning a degree in 3 1/2 years in public policy and management, focusing on criminal justice. His minor was in business.
What that degree in hand, and one year of eligibility left, Jenkins is free to transfer to another FootballChampionship Subdivision school without having to sit out a year. It was that or stay at Arizona and face another season of limited opportunity behind consensus All-American Ka'Deem Carey.
Jenkins rushed for 293 yards and two touchdowns as Carey's backup this season, and proved to be a valuable member of Arizona's backfield. However, with just one year left to play in college, Jenkins felt it would be best to play for a school that could offer a larger role on the field.
The report notes that Rodriguez told Jenkins he would like for the running back to stay, but understood why he was asking to leave.
"I have only one year to show the world what I've got," Jenkins said.
"This was just a personal decision for my career. It was something I had to do. It was not something I wanted to do."
- Arizona accepts invitation to play Boston College in the 2013 AdvoCare V100 Bowl
- Wildcats' Carey wins Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year
- The Pulse: Fans expecting an ASU win over Arizona
- The Pulse: Taylor Kelly will be the most important player in the 2013 Territorial Cup
- Three ways Arizona beats ASU, three ways the Wildcats lose to the Sun Devils
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.