ESPN analyst: Expect double-digit wins from Arizona next year
While not exactly a win total to write home about, the Arizona football program is not exactly known for having great success. Only twice in the last 20 years have the Wildcats won more than eight games, collecting 12 wins in 1998 and 10 in 1993.
ESPN NCAA football analyst Mark May believes they'll do it again in 2013.
"I think, depending on the quarterback they get to replace Matt Scott," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo when asked if the 'Cats are set to make a big jump next season. "Looking at their schedule and the players that they have returning, you should expect this team to get to double-digit victories or close to that no matter who the quarterback is."
May's optimism comes at a time when, really, no one knows who Arizona will turn to to replace fifth-year senior Matt Scott, who passed for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns this season. He also ran for 506 yards and six scores.
May noted how Rodriguez's defenses have tended to be the issue, and his first year in the desert was no different. The Wildcats were among the worst in the country when it came to stopping opponents, though much of that can be attributed to the number of walk-ons and true freshmen who were pressed into action.
That could pay off, though, as all 11 defensive starters are set to return in 2013.
"I think things are looking great for the University of Arizona, particularly in the future," May said. "And that schedule, non-conference, not a lot there, not a lot of meat on that bone, so you can almost pencil them in right now for a bowl at least."
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a