Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 2:36 pm
ESPN analyst: Expect double-digit wins from Arizona next year
While not exactly a win total to write home about, the Arizona football program is not exactly known for having great success. Only twice in the last 20 years have the Wildcats won more than eight games, collecting 12 wins in 1998 and 10 in 1993.
ESPN NCAA football analyst Mark May believes they'll do it again in 2013.
"I think, depending on the quarterback they get to replace Matt Scott," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo when asked if the 'Cats are set to make a big jump next season. "Looking at their schedule and the players that they have returning, you should expect this team to get to double-digit victories or close to that no matter who the quarterback is."
May's optimism comes at a time when, really, no one knows who Arizona will turn to to replace fifth-year senior Matt Scott, who passed for 3,620 yards and 27 touchdowns this season. He also ran for 506 yards and six scores.
May noted how Rodriguez's defenses have tended to be the issue, and his first year in the desert was no different. The Wildcats were among the worst in the country when it came to stopping opponents, though much of that can be attributed to the number of walk-ons and true freshmen who were pressed into action.
That could pay off, though, as all 11 defensive starters are set to return in 2013.
"I think things are looking great for the University of Arizona, particularly in the future," May said. "And that schedule, non-conference, not a lot there, not a lot of meat on that bone, so you can almost pencil them in right now for a bowl at least."
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.