Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 11:20 am
Nevada, Arizona to face off in New Mexico Bowl
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Two teams that ended their regular-season schedules in disappointing fashion will meet at University Stadium on Dec. 15, when Nevada faces Arizona in the New Mexico Bowl.
Nevada (7-5, 4-4 Mountain West) got off to a 6-1 start to become eligible for a bowl. But an overtime loss to San Diego State sent the Wolf Pack into a 1-4 tailspin to close the season.
Arizona (7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) looked bound for a winning conference record in its first year with Rich Rodriguez at the helm, but the Wildcats lost 41-34 at home to rival Arizona State in their season finale.
"I'm excited for our seniors. This is exciting for our team and fans," Rodriguez said. "We are thrilled to be playing in Albuquerque. We'll take advantage of the extra practice time and start preparing for Nevada."
Both teams feature powerful rushing offenses that rank in the top 15 nationally in yards per game. Both programs also are among the best in the Football Bowl Subdivision in points scored — and among the worst in points allowed.
"Arizona has a fine team overall and a terrific offense," said Nevada coach Chris Ault. "We are excited for this opportunity."
The New Mexico Bowl is sponsored by clothing manufacturer Gildan.
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.