Updated Dec 3, 2012 - 11:20 am
Nevada, Arizona to face off in New Mexico Bowl
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Two teams that ended their regular-season schedules in disappointing fashion will meet at University Stadium on Dec. 15, when Nevada faces Arizona in the New Mexico Bowl.
Nevada (7-5, 4-4 Mountain West) got off to a 6-1 start to become eligible for a bowl. But an overtime loss to San Diego State sent the Wolf Pack into a 1-4 tailspin to close the season.
Arizona (7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) looked bound for a winning conference record in its first year with Rich Rodriguez at the helm, but the Wildcats lost 41-34 at home to rival Arizona State in their season finale.
"I'm excited for our seniors. This is exciting for our team and fans," Rodriguez said. "We are thrilled to be playing in Albuquerque. We'll take advantage of the extra practice time and start preparing for Nevada."
Both teams feature powerful rushing offenses that rank in the top 15 nationally in yards per game. Both programs also are among the best in the Football Bowl Subdivision in points scored — and among the worst in points allowed.
"Arizona has a fine team overall and a terrific offense," said Nevada coach Chris Ault. "We are excited for this opportunity."
The New Mexico Bowl is sponsored by clothing manufacturer Gildan.
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?