While junior college transfer B.J. Denker filled in admirably for the Wildcats in his lone start against Colorado on November 10 -- 12-of-14 passing for 136 yards and two touchdowns -- Rodriguez may have found someone who is familiar with the Pac-12 conference and who will push the junior when the team opens camp in the spring.
Twist to the 2013 QB battle. Word getting around ex-USC QB Jesse Scroggins (a JC transfer) has committed to Arizona. h/t @jasonscheer— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) December 2, 2012
Scroggins, who was ranked as the No. 2 quarterback in the Class of 2010 by ESPN.com, struggled to get on to the field during his brief time at USC.
Despite coming in as a highly-touted mobile quarterback (ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds) out of Lakewood High School, Scroggins redshirted in 2010 and saw little time (took one snap against Washington) backing up Matt Barkley in 2011.
After missing the final six games of the 2011 season due to injury, Scroggins decided to transfer to El Camino College last June.
At El Camino, he threw for 1,148 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games.
If Scroggins suits up for the Wildcats this spring, he will have two remaining years of eligibility.
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener