Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 10:45 am
John Banano named Pac-12 Scholar-Athelete
A physiology major with a 3.927 GPA, Banano is the second University of Arizona student to win the award for football, which was created during the 2007-2008 academic year. Former Wildcat linebacker Spencer Larsen won the inaugural award.
This achievement will only add to the number of academic and football accomplishments Banano has already won. In 2011 and 2012 he was named a Pac-12 All-Academic honoree and a 2012 CoSIDA Academic All-District award winner.
The senior kicker has made 14 of 20 field-goal attempts this season, with a long of 46 yards. He is 51 of 52 on extra-point attempts, missing his first try against Arizona State to snap a school-record streak of 74 consecutive successful extra points made.
Banano is currently in the interview process for applying to medical school.
Other fall sport winners include:
Nick Happe, Arizona State, Men's cross country
Jordan Hasay, Oregon, Women's cross country
Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA, Men's soccer
Mariah Nogueira, Stanford, Women's soccer
Katherine Fischer, Oregon, Volleyball
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 12/13 - Friday December 13Talk about Carey's lack of national recognition and #1 UA Bball
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.