A physiology major with a 3.927 GPA, Banano is the second University of Arizona student to win the award for football, which was created during the 2007-2008 academic year. Former Wildcat linebacker Spencer Larsen won the inaugural award.
This achievement will only add to the number of academic and football accomplishments Banano has already won. In 2011 and 2012 he was named a Pac-12 All-Academic honoree and a 2012 CoSIDA Academic All-District award winner.
The senior kicker has made 14 of 20 field-goal attempts this season, with a long of 46 yards. He is 51 of 52 on extra-point attempts, missing his first try against Arizona State to snap a school-record streak of 74 consecutive successful extra points made.
Banano is currently in the interview process for applying to medical school.
Other fall sport winners include:
Nick Happe, Arizona State, Men's cross country
Jordan Hasay, Oregon, Women's cross country
Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA, Men's soccer
Mariah Nogueira, Stanford, Women's soccer
Katherine Fischer, Oregon, Volleyball
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener