Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 10:45 am
John Banano named Pac-12 Scholar-Athelete
A physiology major with a 3.927 GPA, Banano is the second University of Arizona student to win the award for football, which was created during the 2007-2008 academic year. Former Wildcat linebacker Spencer Larsen won the inaugural award.
This achievement will only add to the number of academic and football accomplishments Banano has already won. In 2011 and 2012 he was named a Pac-12 All-Academic honoree and a 2012 CoSIDA Academic All-District award winner.
The senior kicker has made 14 of 20 field-goal attempts this season, with a long of 46 yards. He is 51 of 52 on extra-point attempts, missing his first try against Arizona State to snap a school-record streak of 74 consecutive successful extra points made.
Banano is currently in the interview process for applying to medical school.
Other fall sport winners include:
Nick Happe, Arizona State, Men's cross country
Jordan Hasay, Oregon, Women's cross country
Ryan Hollingshead, UCLA, Men's soccer
Mariah Nogueira, Stanford, Women's soccer
Katherine Fischer, Oregon, Volleyball
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Arizona Wildcats' scoreboard rated among NCAA's best
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.