Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 1:05 am
Cat Tracks: Arizona loses Territorial Cup to ASU
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's November 23 loss to Arizona State. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown for the Wildcats to pass Trung Canidate's single-season school record of 1,602 yards on the ground.
The Wildcats outplayed the Sun Devils in the third quarter, after trailing their rival 14-9 at the half. Wideout Austin Hill caught a 29-yard pass for a score on the quarter's opening drive. Garic Wharton then caught a 40-yard touchdown pass.
John Bonano later kicked a 23-yard field goal after the Devils fumbled on the snap.
Despite Matt Scott's 230 yards passing and three touchdowns, the Cats' quarterback also committed four costly turnovers, including three interceptions.
The turnovers ultimately caught up with Scott and Arizona, as the Wildcats' signal caller fumbled and threw a pick in the fourth quarter.
The Wildcats' defense watched as the Sun Devils put up 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, blowing a 27-17 lead and wasting 18 third quarter points.
Kyle Dugandzic's punt was blocked with 5:38 left by ASU's Kevin Ayers, which set up prime field position for the Devils. Cameron Marshall then ran in the go-ahead touchdown.
• The visiting team won the Duel in the Desert for the fourth straight year.
• Carey suffered an apparent upper body injury early in the second half. He returned briefly in the third, but his play was limited for the remainder of the game.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona finished the regular season with a 7-5 record and 4-5 mark in conference. They are bowl eligible and await the announcement of their destination next week.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 12/13 - Friday December 13Talk about Carey's lack of national recognition and #1 UA Bball
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.