Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 1:05 am
Cat Tracks: Arizona loses Territorial Cup to ASU
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's November 23 loss to Arizona State. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown for the Wildcats to pass Trung Canidate's single-season school record of 1,602 yards on the ground.
The Wildcats outplayed the Sun Devils in the third quarter, after trailing their rival 14-9 at the half. Wideout Austin Hill caught a 29-yard pass for a score on the quarter's opening drive. Garic Wharton then caught a 40-yard touchdown pass.
John Bonano later kicked a 23-yard field goal after the Devils fumbled on the snap.
Despite Matt Scott's 230 yards passing and three touchdowns, the Cats' quarterback also committed four costly turnovers, including three interceptions.
The turnovers ultimately caught up with Scott and Arizona, as the Wildcats' signal caller fumbled and threw a pick in the fourth quarter.
The Wildcats' defense watched as the Sun Devils put up 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, blowing a 27-17 lead and wasting 18 third quarter points.
Kyle Dugandzic's punt was blocked with 5:38 left by ASU's Kevin Ayers, which set up prime field position for the Devils. Cameron Marshall then ran in the go-ahead touchdown.
• The visiting team won the Duel in the Desert for the fourth straight year.
• Carey suffered an apparent upper body injury early in the second half. He returned briefly in the third, but his play was limited for the remainder of the game.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona finished the regular season with a 7-5 record and 4-5 mark in conference. They are bowl eligible and await the announcement of their destination next week.
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Arizona coach: Receiver Austin Hill is 100 percent
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.