Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 1:05 am
Cat Tracks: Arizona loses Territorial Cup to ASU
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a football game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's November 23 loss to Arizona State. Final score: Arizona State 41, Arizona 34.
Ka'Deem Carey rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown for the Wildcats to pass Trung Canidate's single-season school record of 1,602 yards on the ground.
The Wildcats outplayed the Sun Devils in the third quarter, after trailing their rival 14-9 at the half. Wideout Austin Hill caught a 29-yard pass for a score on the quarter's opening drive. Garic Wharton then caught a 40-yard touchdown pass.
John Bonano later kicked a 23-yard field goal after the Devils fumbled on the snap.
Despite Matt Scott's 230 yards passing and three touchdowns, the Cats' quarterback also committed four costly turnovers, including three interceptions.
The turnovers ultimately caught up with Scott and Arizona, as the Wildcats' signal caller fumbled and threw a pick in the fourth quarter.
The Wildcats' defense watched as the Sun Devils put up 24 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, blowing a 27-17 lead and wasting 18 third quarter points.
Kyle Dugandzic's punt was blocked with 5:38 left by ASU's Kevin Ayers, which set up prime field position for the Devils. Cameron Marshall then ran in the go-ahead touchdown.
• The visiting team won the Duel in the Desert for the fourth straight year.
• Carey suffered an apparent upper body injury early in the second half. He returned briefly in the third, but his play was limited for the remainder of the game.
Coming Up Next:
Arizona finished the regular season with a 7-5 record and 4-5 mark in conference. They are bowl eligible and await the announcement of their destination next week.
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Arizona will start season with freshman Anu Solomon at quarterback
- 2014 UA Hall of Fame inductee Dick Tomey: Rich Rodriguez 'the right man at the right time' for Wildcats
- CBS Sports analyst: Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez will be Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.