Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:25 pm
ESPN analyst: Arizona closer to being a 'factor' than Arizona State
They each will have led their teams to bowl games in year one, surpassing all expectations placed upon their programs.
When asked which team is closest to competing for a Pac-12 South championship, though, ESPN NCAA football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said it's the team in Tucson.
"I think Rich Rod, because of his style of offense, if he gets the personnel to run it I think they can be a factor," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "With Arizona State, I think it's going to be a little bit more of a challenge.
Herbstreit believes the caliber of teams the Arizona schools will be competing with in the conference is high, making it tough for either to consistently be near the top of the standings.
"What is realistic? I think every five years," he said. "Both of those programs should be able to get to a level where they're competitive enough to challenge USC and UCLA."
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.