Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:25 pm
ESPN analyst: Arizona closer to being a 'factor' than Arizona State
They each will have led their teams to bowl games in year one, surpassing all expectations placed upon their programs.
When asked which team is closest to competing for a Pac-12 South championship, though, ESPN NCAA football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said it's the team in Tucson.
"I think Rich Rod, because of his style of offense, if he gets the personnel to run it I think they can be a factor," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "With Arizona State, I think it's going to be a little bit more of a challenge.
Herbstreit believes the caliber of teams the Arizona schools will be competing with in the conference is high, making it tough for either to consistently be near the top of the standings.
"What is realistic? I think every five years," he said. "Both of those programs should be able to get to a level where they're competitive enough to challenge USC and UCLA."
- Arizona's Anu Solomon named National Freshman of the Week
- Arizona Wildcats receive votes in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Arizona coach Rodriguez praises 'unflappable' Anu Solomon
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?