Updated Nov 20, 2012 - 6:25 pm
ESPN analyst: Arizona closer to being a 'factor' than Arizona State
They each will have led their teams to bowl games in year one, surpassing all expectations placed upon their programs.
When asked which team is closest to competing for a Pac-12 South championship, though, ESPN NCAA football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said it's the team in Tucson.
"I think Rich Rod, because of his style of offense, if he gets the personnel to run it I think they can be a factor," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "With Arizona State, I think it's going to be a little bit more of a challenge.
Herbstreit believes the caliber of teams the Arizona schools will be competing with in the conference is high, making it tough for either to consistently be near the top of the standings.
"What is realistic? I think every five years," he said. "Both of those programs should be able to get to a level where they're competitive enough to challenge USC and UCLA."
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.