Updated Nov 19, 2012 - 7:50 am
Wildcats to wear red helmets Friday against rival ASU
According to the UA football program's Twitter account, Rich Rodriguez's squad will don red helmets for the first time since the 1980 season as part of a university-wide initiative to "Redout" Arizona Stadium.
Back in June, Anthony Gimino of The Tucson Citizen inquired about the use of red helmets, after backup quarterback B.J. Denker tweeted out a picture of one following a summer practice.
Athletic director Greg Byrne apparently was playing it close to the vest:
Greg Byrne says pic of red helmet circulating just a "mock up." Not on radar right now, he says. A matter of time? bit.ly/LdMygS— Anthony Gimino (@AGWildcatReport) June 4, 2012
The Wildcats have been all about introducing new helmet colors into their home wardrobe. In a 38-35 loss to Oregon State on September 29, UA elected to wear copper helmets for the first time.
Here's a picture of quarterback Matt Scott posing with the red helmet after UA's practice Sunday (Photo by UA Football's Twitter account):
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.