Updated Nov 12, 2012 - 11:12 am
Ka'Deem Carey rushing his way to top of Pac-12
After all, UCLA's senior Jonathan Franklin ran for 541 yards over the first three weeks -- tops among all running backs in the nation.
And if that wasn't enough, Kenjon Barner all but erased the memory of LaMichael James up in Eugene this year. The Ducks senior halfback has rushed his way into the Heisman Trophy conversation with 1,360 yards rushing (fifth-best in the nation) and 19 touchdowns (second-best in the nation).
As a sophomore, Carey was fine taking a back seat to two of the conference's elder running backs.
Until Saturday against Colorado.
Carey rushed for a Pac-12 record 366 yards and five touchdowns (tied for a conference record) in the Wildcats 56-31 rout of Colorado. And what looked to be a two-man race for the first-team honors at season's end, has now turned into quite the battle heading into the final weeks of the season.
Here's what ESPN.com's Ted Miller had to say on the matter:
Picking two first-team All-Pac-12 running backs won't be easy: Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey rushed for 366 yards -- a new Pac-12 single-game record -- and five touchdowns in Arizona's 56-31 win over Colorado. He will take over the Pac-12 rushing lead, as Oregon's Kenjon Barner (65 yards) and UCLA's Johnathan Franklin (66 yards) had subpar games. The final two weeks likely will decided the two guys who end up first-team All-Pac-12.
Carey's career day not only led UA to a much-needed victory, it helped him pass Barner as the conference's leading rusher. He now has 1,381 yards for the season and has rushed for at least 100 yards in a game seven times in 2012.
The sophomore's remaining games are against Utah and ASU. As a freshman, Carey didn't have great success running on the Utes or Sun Devils, as he finished with a combined 122 rushing yards and no touchdowns.
- No QB yet, but Wildcats a little closer after spring game
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- UA's Rodriguez: Proposed play clock rule would change fundamentals of game
- UA's Rodriguez: Don't expect QB to be named by end of spring
- Arizona moves first two games of 2014 season to weekdays
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.