Updated Oct 21, 2012 - 9:43 pm
ESPN analyst: Arizona Wildcats' defense deserves some credit
Heading into Saturday night's home game against Washington, Arizona's defense had given up a combined 141 points and 1,725 total yards in three straight losses to Oregon, Oregon State and Stanford.
In fact, in their first 12 quarters of Pac-12 play, the Wildcats had only one frame in which they gave up less than seven points.
Against Keith Price and the Huskies, it was a completely different story for Rich Rodriguez's squad. Matt Scott and the offense certainly did their job in UA's 52-17 rout, but it was the Wildcats' defense -- which shut out Washington in the second half -- that created separation over the final 30 minutes of play.
The Wildcats' pass rush sacked Price four times, while forcing the junior quarterback to throw the ball away six other times.
He also threw two interceptions on the night.
For their efforts, UA's defense finally got some praise thrown their way by Pac-12 blogger Ted Miller:
Arizona's defense: It seems like Ka'Deem Carey or Matt Scott could get helmet stickers every week, but it's not often we're talking about Arizona's defense. And when we do, it's usually about how they haven't been able to protect a lead for their offense. So give them credit for blanking Washington in the second half and forcing three turnovers in a 52-17 win.
Next up for the Wildcats' defense is a date next Saturday in Tucson with the high-flying USC Trojans, led by Matt Barkley, Robert Woods and Marqise Lee. The Trojans come to town fresh off a 44-point blowout of Colorado.
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Anu Solomon, UA Wildcats roll over UNLV Rebels in season opener
- Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne says goal is Territorial Cup, then Pac-12 championship
- Arizona vs. UNLV preview: Wildcats to debut freshman QB
- Arizona Wildcats to be a Pac-12 South surprise?
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.