Updated Oct 21, 2012 - 9:43 pm
ESPN analyst: Arizona Wildcats' defense deserves some credit
Heading into Saturday night's home game against Washington, Arizona's defense had given up a combined 141 points and 1,725 total yards in three straight losses to Oregon, Oregon State and Stanford.
In fact, in their first 12 quarters of Pac-12 play, the Wildcats had only one frame in which they gave up less than seven points.
Against Keith Price and the Huskies, it was a completely different story for Rich Rodriguez's squad. Matt Scott and the offense certainly did their job in UA's 52-17 rout, but it was the Wildcats' defense -- which shut out Washington in the second half -- that created separation over the final 30 minutes of play.
The Wildcats' pass rush sacked Price four times, while forcing the junior quarterback to throw the ball away six other times.
He also threw two interceptions on the night.
For their efforts, UA's defense finally got some praise thrown their way by Pac-12 blogger Ted Miller:
Arizona's defense: It seems like Ka'Deem Carey or Matt Scott could get helmet stickers every week, but it's not often we're talking about Arizona's defense. And when we do, it's usually about how they haven't been able to protect a lead for their offense. So give them credit for blanking Washington in the second half and forcing three turnovers in a 52-17 win.
Next up for the Wildcats' defense is a date next Saturday in Tucson with the high-flying USC Trojans, led by Matt Barkley, Robert Woods and Marqise Lee. The Trojans come to town fresh off a 44-point blowout of Colorado.
- Report: Class of 2016 quarterback Shea Patterson decommits from Arizona
- Arizona coach Rodriguez on starting QB: 'The truth is I don't really know'
- Arizona Wildcats picked fourth in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Arizona Wildcats' white helmets may have a slightly different (but familiar) look in 2014
- Arizona WR Austin Hill named to Maxwell Award watch list
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.