Updated Jul 16, 2014 - 1:51 pm
Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
Heading into third season as a starter, Kelly has thrown for 6,705 yards and 57 touchdowns, while completing 64.6 percent of his passes.
He was named to the Davey O'Brien award watch list, given to the best quarterback in college football.
Former ASU safety Adam Archuleta, who now works as an NFL color analyst for CBS, told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM he is a big Kelly fan.
"I feel good about Taylor Kelly," Archuleta said. "He's not flashy. He's not like a Jameis Winston type or doesn't get that kind of national love, but the guy's a baller."
While Kelly may be overlooked on the grand stage, he did lead the Sun Devils to the Pac-12 championship game in 2013 and had the eighth-best passer rating in the country in 2012.
Kelly has also proved he can make plays with his feet, rushing for 608 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Archuleta said Kelly is a dependable and clutch player.
"Is he one of the elites? No. But I think he's up there as far as guys that can lead any football team in the country. I've been a really big fan of his work. I love what he's been able to do here in his career at ASU. I expect him to take an even bigger step (in 2014). But I just love his style, the way he handles himself. You'll win a lot of football games with Taylor Kelly as your quarterback."
- Todd Graham on ASU's first day of practice: 'We couldn't have been any better'
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.