Updated Jul 16, 2014 - 1:51 pm
Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
Heading into third season as a starter, Kelly has thrown for 6,705 yards and 57 touchdowns, while completing 64.6 percent of his passes.
He was named to the Davey O'Brien award watch list, given to the best quarterback in college football.
Former ASU safety Adam Archuleta, who now works as an NFL color analyst for CBS, told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM he is a big Kelly fan.
"I feel good about Taylor Kelly," Archuleta said. "He's not flashy. He's not like a Jameis Winston type or doesn't get that kind of national love, but the guy's a baller."
While Kelly may be overlooked on the grand stage, he did lead the Sun Devils to the Pac-12 championship game in 2013 and had the eighth-best passer rating in the country in 2012.
Kelly has also proved he can make plays with his feet, rushing for 608 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Archuleta said Kelly is a dependable and clutch player.
"Is he one of the elites? No. But I think he's up there as far as guys that can lead any football team in the country. I've been a really big fan of his work. I love what he's been able to do here in his career at ASU. I expect him to take an even bigger step (in 2014). But I just love his style, the way he handles himself. You'll win a lot of football games with Taylor Kelly as your quarterback."
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.