ASU coach Graham: Anything short of Pac-12 title will leave people disappointed
"I think you come in and win eight ball games and then come in and win 10 ball games, going to the conference championship, doing the things that we've done to this point has been, really, the easy part," he told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "The hard part now is to go win the conference championship.
"Anything short of that, people are going to be disappointed."
He's probably right.
Since taking over for Dennis Erickson following the 2011 season, Graham has instilled a level of discipline and confidence in the team that has not been seen for a while. The result has been a pair of surprisingly successful seasons that have now positioned the program to take the next step and go from good to elite.
"The hard part starts now; the margin for error is so small," he said.
That's not to say Graham isn't confident. The third-year Sun Devil coach believes this will be the best offensive team he's had in Tempe and is confident they'll be much improved on special teams.
But as is the case in college football, Graham and the Devils will also be looking to replace departed talent, much of which was on the defensive side of the ball. Among the players who left were defensive lineman Will Sutton, who was the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the year, along with safety Alden Darby and linebackers Chris Young and Carl Bradford.
Last season, ASU ranked seventh in the Pac-12 in scoring defense but allowed the fourth-fewest yards per game. Along with the explosive offense it was enough to win the Pac-12 South. But with so many key players gone, people are concerned that the Devils may struggle to stop opponents.
"We're going to be very young on defense, but on the same end, I've got a lot of confidence that we've signed a really good class," the coach said. "We'll be young, but I think people will be surprised at how good we will be on defense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!