Updated May 13, 2014 - 2:49 pm
Arizona State adds future non-conference games with Michigan State
Arizona State will be playing 2014 Rose Bowl Champion Michigan State in 2018 and in 2019.
Sun Devils athletic director Ray Anderson announced the news on Arizona Sports 98.7's Bickley & Marotta Tuesday afternoon.
"This is really a reflection of our desire and Coach Graham's desire to make sure that our non-conference opponents are as competitive going forward as we can get them," Anderson said. "We want to play the big boys because we are a big boy, consistently, and certainly our non-conference schedule is going to reflect that."
The 2018 game will be in Tempe on Sept. 8 with the Sun Devils taking a trip to East Lansing the following year on Sept. 14.
"I am excited that we are able to announce the series with Michigan State University," Sun Devil head football coach Todd Graham said. "Scheduling is very important to the overall success of a program and this is the type of matchup that we are seeking to fill our future dates. This series will help build our football program."
The Sun Devils and Spartans have met twice before, a home-and-home in 1985 and 1986. Both teams won at home.
To accommodate the Michigan State game in 2018, ASU and San Diego State moved their previously scheduled game in 2018 on September 8 to September 15.
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.