Updated May 13, 2014 - 2:49 pm
Arizona State adds future non-conference games with Michigan State
Arizona State will be playing 2014 Rose Bowl Champion Michigan State in 2018 and in 2019.
Sun Devils athletic director Ray Anderson announced the news on Arizona Sports 98.7's Bickley & Marotta Tuesday afternoon.
"This is really a reflection of our desire and Coach Graham's desire to make sure that our non-conference opponents are as competitive going forward as we can get them," Anderson said. "We want to play the big boys because we are a big boy, consistently, and certainly our non-conference schedule is going to reflect that."
The 2018 game will be in Tempe on Sept. 8 with the Sun Devils taking a trip to East Lansing the following year on Sept. 14.
"I am excited that we are able to announce the series with Michigan State University," Sun Devil head football coach Todd Graham said. "Scheduling is very important to the overall success of a program and this is the type of matchup that we are seeking to fill our future dates. This series will help build our football program."
The Sun Devils and Spartans have met twice before, a home-and-home in 1985 and 1986. Both teams won at home.
To accommodate the Michigan State game in 2018, ASU and San Diego State moved their previously scheduled game in 2018 on September 8 to September 15.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.