Updated Apr 23, 2014 - 6:33 pm
Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
Arizona State will be represented in this year's draft by at least two players, defensive tackle Will Sutton and linebacker Carl Bradford, according to ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr,.
Sutton could have left for the draft last year, but elected to stay in school his senior season. Sutton has been working on losing weight as the draft approaches, weighing in at 315 pounds at the Senior Bowl and at 297 pounds at his Pro Day.
When asked about how Sutton's weight shift will affect his draft stock, Kiper said that an NFL team could take a chance on Sutton during the second or third day of the draft.
"The ups and down of the way the weight went and the way he performed on the field this year was not the level we had seen," Kiper said in a media conference call Wednesday. "I think somebody is going to maybe try to balance it out and say, ‘If we can get him at the right weight, get him back to the way he was and rotate him in there, you got a guy that can make some things happen behind the line of scrimmage.' I think somebody maybe in the third or fourth round will take a look at Sutton."
In his four years at ASU, Sutton totaled 45.5 tackles for loss, 20.5 sacks and twice won the Pat Tillman Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Award.
In 2012, Sutton and Bradford's combined 44 tackles for loss were the most for a pair in ASU history and they became the first Sun Devil duo since 1994 to post double-digit sacks in the same season.
The two didn't quite reach the same marks in 2013, combining for 32.5 tackles for loss; Bradford had 8.5 sacks and Sutton had four.
Bradford, a 6-foot-1 linebacker, finished his career in Tempe with 40.5 tackles for loss and 21.5 sacks.
"I think Bradford is a little underrated and a little under the radar," Kiper said. "I think he can help you off the edge and he can really do some things from a mobility standpoint and an athletic standpoint. I think third or fourth round for him."
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!