ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
No more so than in Tempe, where the former Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year starred on the gridiron for four years, captaining the Sun Devils to the program's second Rose Bowl appearance in 1996-97.
ASU athletic director Ray Anderson has only been on the job for a little over two months now, but as he revealed on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Tillman's presence is apparent just about anywhere he goes on campus.
"Obviously, the love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable," Anderson said. "You see it every place, literally every place in and around Tempe there is a tribute to Pat Tillman.
"To come into an environment as an outsider and see that he is coveted and embraced by everybody as a personal family member who sacrificed for his country and who was a representative of ASU, there's just a lot of pride, a lot of love, a lot of embracing for everything that is number 42."
Since Tillman's death in April 2004, the university has gone to great lengths to pay tribute and honor their former student-athlete.
From retiring his jersey to redesigning Sun Devil Stadium's south tunnel in his honor to renaming its veterans center with his namesake, Tillman remains close in the hearts and minds of all those who bleed maroon and gold.
But in Anderson's eyes, the greatest illustration of Tillman's impact might just be the annual race put on by his foundation, which has been hosted by the city and university every year since 2006.
"This weekend as you know is Pat's Run," said Anderson. "It's 4.2 miles and ends at the 42-yard line in the stadium. Just the details of that shows how important he is to everything in this community and Arizona State.
"I'm really proud to be a part of it and to be able to appreciate it, and frankly enjoy his memory as a real hero for this university."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.