Updated Jan 27, 2014 - 4:55 pm
ESPN: ASU's Will Sutton hurt stock during Senior Bowl
On one hand, he is the reining two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, a player who regularly commanded double teams, forcing opposing offenses to game plan for him.
On the other hand, he's someone whose numbers took a significant dip from 2012 to 2013, causing some to wonder if he gained too much weight in the offseason.
Apparently that is still the case, as a trio of ESPN draft analysts concluded that Sutton's stock took a hit over a week of Senior Bowl practices along with the game itself.
In an ESPN Insider piece recapping who helped themselves and who hurt themselves, Sutton's name came up on the wrong side of things.
Sutton had four tackles in Saturday's game, including a tackle for loss, but the bottom line with him is that at 6-0 and 315 pounds he is carrying too much weight on his frame and doesn't appear nearly explosive as he did when he played at a lighter weight in 2012. He still plays with an edge and flashes heavy hands, but offensive linemen reached and engulfed him when he failed to win initially. If he can shed some weight and post a strong 10-yard split at the combine, it will help his cause. He'll also need to interview well and ease concerns about his conditioning.
Sutton tallied 13 sacks in 2012 but had just four in 2013, causing many to wonder if he'd be an impact player at the next level.
Of course, the opinions of scouts and analysts are always a mixed bag, so just because some think Sutton is too heavy does not mean everyone feels the same way.
But with a few months left between now and the draft, it appears Sutton may still have some work to do with regards to his stock.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.