Updated Jan 9, 2014 - 12:25 pm
ASU officially names Ray Anderson as AD
Anderson is a former NFL league office executive, running the football operations department since 2006. Before that he was the vice president of the Atlanta Falcons.
"In evaluating the next step in my career, I could not imagine a better, more exciting opportunity," said Anderson in a press release. "I am thrilled to become part of the team at Arizona State and energized by the academic and athletic mission of this great university."
The hiring comes a day after Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi had heard Anderson would be the guy.
Talking to multiple ASU sources over past couple hours, the name I keep hearing as next AD is Ray Anderson, most recently with NFL office..— Paul Calvisi (@PaulCalvisi) January 9, 2014
ASU has been looking to replace Steve Patterson since his departure for the same position at the University of Texas in November.
Anderson reportedly was a potential candidate for several NFL team president positions, and last served as the NFL's VP of Football Operations.
"We look forward to working with Ray, who has worked in athletics at the highest level and been a part of arguably the strongest brand in sports," ASU basketball head coach Herb Sendek said in a release.
Anderson played both football and baseball at Stanford before graduating from Harvard Law School. He later launched a sports agency, where he represented former Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green.
"I am very impressed with the hire of Ray Anderson as our Vice President for University Athletics," said Sun Devil football head coach Todd Graham in a release. "Ray has a unique blend of professional experiences and that will serve him well at ASU. I especially like the fact that he has a football background, both as a player and as a professional in the marketplace."
ASU has about 500 student-athletes across 22 sports. They currently graduate at a rate of 82 percent, fourth-best in the Pac-12 Conference.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!