ASU deputy coach and OC Mike Norvell: 'I'm excited about being part' of program's rise
By Wednesday morning, he was promoted to the title of deputy head coach -- a promotion that keeps him in Tempe at least in the short term.
Norvell, who was nominated for the Broyles Award (given annually to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach), was a guest on Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo, admitted that he was thankful for the school's decision to promote him.
"It's obviously an exciting day for me and my family and obviously the commitment and where we feel the program is headed to," Norvell said. "It's really just a happy day."
Under Norvell's direction the past two seasons, ASU's offense has amassed more than 12,000 total yards and 1,032 points. In 2013 alone, the Sun Devils finishing ninth in the country in scoring, 19th in first downs, 28th in passing offense and 29th in total offense.
While the gaudy numbers have the 32-year-old an attractive head coaching candidate, Norvell said that his only focus right now is helping ASU build its way towards becoming a national powerhouse.
"I think [the decision to stay] is just about what I think of our program and where we are at right now at ASU and where we can get to," said Norvell. "I feel like this year was a good year. We got to the doorstep of our goals. I'm excited about being a part of it and continuing to grow and achieve those goals and bring a championship to Tempe."
Although Norvell, who starred as a four-year receiver at Central Arkansas, noted that the interest was substantial at Arkansas State, Todd Graham's long-time assistant said he couldn't walk away from the commitment both the school and the football program had made to him.
"With the commitment that ASU has made to me and where this football program is going to, I'm just excited to be a part of it," said Norvell. "I'm very grateful to President [Michael Crow], Dr. [James] Rund, Coach Graham and every in a position of power that has made a great commitment to me and my family. I'm excited about where we are headed to."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.