Updated Dec 18, 2013 - 9:59 am
ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
"I am committed to the long-term success of this program under the leadership of Todd Graham," ASU President Dr. Michael Crow said. "Rewarding the skills of a master teacher like Mike Norvell is a demonstration of that commitment. Coach Norvell's performance as offensive coordinator has been nationally recognized, and this promotion reflects the remarkable track record he has established in the last two years at ASU."
Norvell has run the Sun Devils' offense the last two seasons, and the team has amassed more than 12,000 total yards and 1,032 points under his guidance. Because of that, the 32-year-old was a popular name in head coaching rumors.
This move will keep him in Tempe.
"I work with a world-class head coach and staff, and have the opportunity every day to teach world-class student-athletes at one of the top public universities in the world," coach Norvell said. "I am proud of what we have accomplished in two years here, but I remain devoted to our ultimate goal of bringing a championship to the valley."
Norvell was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is given annually to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach. The Sun Devils averaged 41 points per game, finishing ninth in the country in scoring, 19th in first downs, 28th in passing offense and 29th in total offense.
"In addition to his offensive prowess, coach Norvell is one of the greatest teachers I've ever worked with," coach Graham said. "Character, discipline and work ethic are all ideals he not only stresses, but holds himself to as well. His ability to connect and motivate young people is unparalleled, and I'm looking forward to coaching with him for many years to come."
In addition to running the offense, Norvell has also served as the team's quarterback coach. Under his stewardship, Taylor Kelly has transformed into one of the nation's most productive quarterbacks.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.