Updated Dec 18, 2013 - 9:59 am
ASU promotes Mike Norvell to role of deputy head coach
"I am committed to the long-term success of this program under the leadership of Todd Graham," ASU President Dr. Michael Crow said. "Rewarding the skills of a master teacher like Mike Norvell is a demonstration of that commitment. Coach Norvell's performance as offensive coordinator has been nationally recognized, and this promotion reflects the remarkable track record he has established in the last two years at ASU."
Norvell has run the Sun Devils' offense the last two seasons, and the team has amassed more than 12,000 total yards and 1,032 points under his guidance. Because of that, the 32-year-old was a popular name in head coaching rumors.
This move will keep him in Tempe.
"I work with a world-class head coach and staff, and have the opportunity every day to teach world-class student-athletes at one of the top public universities in the world," coach Norvell said. "I am proud of what we have accomplished in two years here, but I remain devoted to our ultimate goal of bringing a championship to the valley."
Norvell was nominated for the Broyles Award, which is given annually to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach. The Sun Devils averaged 41 points per game, finishing ninth in the country in scoring, 19th in first downs, 28th in passing offense and 29th in total offense.
"In addition to his offensive prowess, coach Norvell is one of the greatest teachers I've ever worked with," coach Graham said. "Character, discipline and work ethic are all ideals he not only stresses, but holds himself to as well. His ability to connect and motivate young people is unparalleled, and I'm looking forward to coaching with him for many years to come."
In addition to running the offense, Norvell has also served as the team's quarterback coach. Under his stewardship, Taylor Kelly has transformed into one of the nation's most productive quarterbacks.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.