ASU coach Graham: Will Sutton 'very deserving' of All-America honors
As the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, Sutton became the focus of opposing team, with offenses keying on the 6-foot-1, 304-pound defensive tackle.
Before the snap, where was No. 90, who had 12 sacks and 23.5 tackles for a loss last year, lining up?
"The protection always slid to him. Obviously, he got double-teamed a lot. We tried to do some things to keep (teams) from doing that," ASU coach Todd Graham said. "He learned that it ain't about your stats, man. It's about the team success. He's become a great team player and a great team leader, really valuable; and had a better year than he did last year. I know a lot people might dispute that, but in my opinion, he did no doubt about that."
Others agree with you, Coach.
The Associated Press named Sutton, who recorded four sacks and 11.5 tackles for a loss, a first team All-America for the second straight season.
"What a great honor. Really proud of him," Graham said.
Sutton, one of seven Sun Devil football players to graduate Tuesday and thus unavailable for comment after practice, is the 15th AP First Team All-America selection in school history and only the third to earn the honor in back-to-back seasons, joining safeties David Fulcher and Mike Richardson.
"I remember last year when we sat down and he said, ‘Coach, what am I going to do if I come back?' I said, ‘You're going to do the same thing. You're going to do it again.' He said, ‘OK. I got that.' So, he believed me and he bought into that," Graham said.
"He made the right decision, the only decision that I can imagine him making. On the same hand, sometimes I've given guys advice in the past that I've told them that they should go out. I don't think it's one answer to every guy. It's what's best for them personally. And I know that what was best for him was to come back. He's going to have a great career ahead of him because he stayed, because he finished that degree that he promised his Mom he would do.
"Just really proud of him and how he's grown," Graham continued. "It's a big, big honor. He's very deserving of it."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The Pulse: Fans expecting 8 or 9 Arizona State wins in 2014
- Vince Marotta's 2014 Pac-12 Preview: Oregon Ducks back on top
- Taylor Kelly, D.J. Foster and Jaelen Strong named best offensive 'triplet' in the Pac-12
- Four-star DT Dalvon Stuckey not enrolling at ASU because of academics
- Adam Archuleta: ASU's Taylor Kelly not elite, but a 'baller'
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?