ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
During his tenure at Tulsa, Graham's Golden Hurricane played in back-to-back Conference USA Championship Games. While those games were big, they pale in comparison to Graham's next challenge.
"Obviously this is the biggest game of my career, and I couldn't be more excited and motivated," Graham said of Saturday's Pac-12 Championship Game at Sun Devil Stadium in a Friday morning interview with Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "This place is going to be electric and you're going to get the best effort out of the Sun Devils."
Graham has been preaching about championships since he stepped foot on the ASU campus for the first time almost two years ago. His team is on the doorstep of ASU's first outright conference crown since the 1996 season, but the second-year coach knows the challenge that lies ahead.
"We're the contender, these guys are the defending champion," he said. "We've got to be twice as focused, twice as intense. You've got to take it from them, and our guys know that.
"Sixty minutes, and if we can somehow, someway figure out how to get this done, we're going to the Rose Bowl. That would be a dream come true for me and our players."
In a 10-2 season that has included a seven-game winning streak, the Sun Devils have played only one bad stretch of football -- the first half of a 42-28 loss at Stanford in the team's Pac-12 opener in September. Everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong for ASU in those 30 minutes -- special teams gaffes, a costly turnover, a dormant running game and the inability to stop the Cardinal led to a 29-0 deficit.
Graham is thankful to get another chance at head coach David Shaw's team.
"We've played them once, and didn't play well, played probably our worst half of the year then showed great heart in the second half," he said. "I'm excited that it's Stanford. I'm excited that it's Coach Shaw because I want to go against the best. I'm excited to compete.
"And there's only one outcome I'm interested in competing for, and that's winning."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!