ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
Second-year coach Todd Graham has the Sun Devils prepared to play host to Stanford in the third Pac-12 Championship Game and the first in program history. And with a trip to the Rose Bowl on the line, the anticipation has incited memories of the team's last trip to Pasadena, in 1996, when Harris was merely an undergrad.
"I haven't seen this type of excitement since then and even maybe that year," Harris told The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Thursday.
Although the game is produced by the conference, Harris is thrilled with the privilege to host it, sharing that he believed it would be a sellout. Because production is out of ASU's hands, there will be no pre-game fireworks or pro-Sun Devil videos on the docket.
"It is a somewhat neutral game," Harris explained. "I wouldn't call it neutral, though, with 68,000 ASU fans and 2,500 Stanford fans, that's not very neutral.
"But they're trying to make it so it's as fair as possible for the opposing team."
What's more? Stanford has had so much trouble selling their portion of tickets that they sent back a share to Arizona State yesterday, according to Harris.
"Stanford returned about a quarter of theirs which, to me, I'd rather have a quarter empty seats than a quarter in red or cardinal cheering on their team," he told the show.
Kickoff is scheduled for 5:45 p.m. Saturday at Sun Devil Stadium.
Remaining tickets can be purchased online, by calling (480) 965-5333 or at the Sun Devil Stadium box office.
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.