Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton experiments with play calling in Territorial Cup victory
Arizona turned the ball over on downs three times in Saturday's Territorial Cup. On two of those instances, Sutton took the responsibility from Coach Todd Graham's hands and called the plays himself.
"I told him I'll start letting you call them [plays]," Graham explained. "He said, ‘Hey we ought to run this based on the way they're blocking it.' So I guess I'm going to start having him call the defenses."
Both plays required no room for error on fourth-and-short situations inside ASU territory. Sutton told his unit during a timeout what they were going to run, and they executed it perfectly.
Ka'Deem Carey was stopped for a seven-yard loss in the first quarter on 4th and 2 from the Sun Devils' 40-yard line, and then for no gain on 4th and 1 in the second quarter at the Sun Devils' 45-yard line.
Collectively, ASU's defense forced four turnovers, was responsible for an interception return touchdown from Damarious Randall and never allowed the Wildcats to muster any sort of legitimate comeback in the second half.
"That's a real defense," Graham noted as he read over the stats from the game.
When the game was officially over, Sutton hoisted the hotly-desired Territorial Cup as he jogged around the field so the fans could relish in their team's accomplishment.
Sun Devil nation sure knows he deserves it for all he's done both on the field and in Saturday night's case, as a play-caller, too.
- More than all-access
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.