Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton experiments with play calling in Territorial Cup victory
Arizona turned the ball over on downs three times in Saturday's Territorial Cup. On two of those instances, Sutton took the responsibility from Coach Todd Graham's hands and called the plays himself.
"I told him I'll start letting you call them [plays]," Graham explained. "He said, ‘Hey we ought to run this based on the way they're blocking it.' So I guess I'm going to start having him call the defenses."
Both plays required no room for error on fourth-and-short situations inside ASU territory. Sutton told his unit during a timeout what they were going to run, and they executed it perfectly.
Ka'Deem Carey was stopped for a seven-yard loss in the first quarter on 4th and 2 from the Sun Devils' 40-yard line, and then for no gain on 4th and 1 in the second quarter at the Sun Devils' 45-yard line.
Collectively, ASU's defense forced four turnovers, was responsible for an interception return touchdown from Damarious Randall and never allowed the Wildcats to muster any sort of legitimate comeback in the second half.
"That's a real defense," Graham noted as he read over the stats from the game.
When the game was officially over, Sutton hoisted the hotly-desired Territorial Cup as he jogged around the field so the fans could relish in their team's accomplishment.
Sun Devil nation sure knows he deserves it for all he's done both on the field and in Saturday night's case, as a play-caller, too.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?