Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton experiments with play calling in Territorial Cup victory
Arizona turned the ball over on downs three times in Saturday's Territorial Cup. On two of those instances, Sutton took the responsibility from Coach Todd Graham's hands and called the plays himself.
"I told him I'll start letting you call them [plays]," Graham explained. "He said, ‘Hey we ought to run this based on the way they're blocking it.' So I guess I'm going to start having him call the defenses."
Both plays required no room for error on fourth-and-short situations inside ASU territory. Sutton told his unit during a timeout what they were going to run, and they executed it perfectly.
Ka'Deem Carey was stopped for a seven-yard loss in the first quarter on 4th and 2 from the Sun Devils' 40-yard line, and then for no gain on 4th and 1 in the second quarter at the Sun Devils' 45-yard line.
Collectively, ASU's defense forced four turnovers, was responsible for an interception return touchdown from Damarious Randall and never allowed the Wildcats to muster any sort of legitimate comeback in the second half.
"That's a real defense," Graham noted as he read over the stats from the game.
When the game was officially over, Sutton hoisted the hotly-desired Territorial Cup as he jogged around the field so the fans could relish in their team's accomplishment.
Sun Devil nation sure knows he deserves it for all he's done both on the field and in Saturday night's case, as a play-caller, too.
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.