Todd Graham: ASU running back Marion Grice is day-to-day
However, running back Marion Grice may be more banged up than most.
The Sun Devils' leading rusher -- he's four yards shy of 1,000 -- limped off the field late in the fourth quarter of ASU's 38-33 win at UCLA Saturday and did not return.
He suffered what was described as a lower leg injury and was spotted leaving the locker room with the assistance of crutches.
"Not right now," head coach Todd Graham answered when asked for an update on Grice during his weekly press conference Monday. "We're just going to evaluate it. It's a day-to-day thing and see how he progresses."
ASU hosts rival UA Saturday.
A Sun Devils' victory would not only secure the Territorial Cup for a second straight year, but would also place the Pac-12 Championship Game in Tempe on Saturday, December 7. Lose, and ASU must travel to Palo Alto for the rematch against Pac-12 North champ Stanford, which handed the Sun Devils their lone conference defeat, 42-28 back in September.
Grice has run for over 100 yards three times this season, all in the past five games. His 996 yards are more than double that of the team's second-leading rusher, quarterback Taylor Kelly (411).
ASU averages 186.4 yards on the ground, sixth-best in the Pac-12.
"(Our running game) won't change any," Graham said. "If that happened (not having Grice available), then we just fill right in with the guys. We're not going to lose what we do with D.J. (Foster). Obviously, D.J. is such an integral part of our passing game. Hopefully we don't have to do that, but if that happens then we've got guys that I have a lot of confidence with D.J. and with Deantre (Lewis)."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.