ASU's Todd Graham: UCLA the biggest game he's coached in
With all due respect to that accomplishment, Arizona State's game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl is by far the biggest and most important game in Graham's coaching career.
"That Notre Dame win was pretty special, I think we were 21-point underdogs or something like that," Graham told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "But yeah, (the UCLA game) is one we want pretty bad."
With a victory, the 17th-ranked Sun Devils would win the Pac-12 South and claim their spot in the conference championship game December 7. Winning a title, even a division title, would be a huge accomplishment for Arizona State in only Graham's second year at the helm.
"That's what you work for, all the work that's gone in, coming in, putting a plan in -- you know, we had a very definitive plan when we came in here, and we've been very blessed that I inherited a great situation because we have great young people," he said. "It would mean the world to me. Football is a passion for me, it's not a job. That's why I came here, because I want to win Pac-12 championships, I want to win Rose Bowl championships and eventually a national championship."
A loss to the 14th-ranked Bruins wouldn't eliminate ASU from the South race, but it would certainly make their path there a lot more difficult. The Sun Devils would need to beat Arizona next Saturday and then count on USC to beat UCLA at the Coliseum.
But going into the game against UCLA, Graham sounds confident that his team won't need any help to clinch the South.
"I think our team is a much better team than people even think they are, these guys really play well together and we're playing our best football right now."
The game kicks off at 5:00 p.m. Phoenix time Saturday, and you can hear all the action on Arizona Sports 620 with Tim Healey, Jeff Van Raaphorst and Doug Franz on the call.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!