ASU to play Texas A&M at Reliant Stadium in 2015
"For us, it's been a goal to play in more games and more events in Texas," ASU senior associate athletic director Rocky Harris said on the Dan Bickley show with Vince Marotta Thursday. "It's a great recruting ground for us. A lot of our students that go to ASU are from Texas."
Steve Patterson, who formerly worked for the Houston Texans -- the team which occupies Reliant Stadium -- negotiated the deal, which is being called the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff.
"We are excited to participate in this unique college football event in the state of Texas against an SEC opponent in Texas A&M," says Patterson.
"Our fans and alumni experienced a fabulous time in Dallas with the Notre Dame game at AT&T Stadium earlier this year and we are excited toprovide another similar opportunity for our fans, alumni and student-athletes. Todd Graham and his coaching staff recruit the state of Texas and this can only serve to enhance that effort."
Reliant Stadium has a capacity of 71,500.
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
The last time the Sun Devils played a game at a neutral site was also an NFL venue in Texas. On Oct. 5, ASU lost 37-34 to Notre Dame at AT&T Stadium in Arlington -- home of the Dallas Cowboys.
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?