ASU to play Texas A&M at Reliant Stadium in 2015
"For us, it's been a goal to play in more games and more events in Texas," ASU senior associate athletic director Rocky Harris said on the Dan Bickley show with Vince Marotta Thursday. "It's a great recruting ground for us. A lot of our students that go to ASU are from Texas."
Steve Patterson, who formerly worked for the Houston Texans -- the team which occupies Reliant Stadium -- negotiated the deal, which is being called the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff.
"We are excited to participate in this unique college football event in the state of Texas against an SEC opponent in Texas A&M," says Patterson.
"Our fans and alumni experienced a fabulous time in Dallas with the Notre Dame game at AT&T Stadium earlier this year and we are excited toprovide another similar opportunity for our fans, alumni and student-athletes. Todd Graham and his coaching staff recruit the state of Texas and this can only serve to enhance that effort."
Reliant Stadium has a capacity of 71,500.
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
The last time the Sun Devils played a game at a neutral site was also an NFL venue in Texas. On Oct. 5, ASU lost 37-34 to Notre Dame at AT&T Stadium in Arlington -- home of the Dallas Cowboys.
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.