ASU to play Texas A&M at Reliant Stadium in 2015
"For us, it's been a goal to play in more games and more events in Texas," ASU senior associate athletic director Rocky Harris said on the Dan Bickley show with Vince Marotta Thursday. "It's a great recruting ground for us. A lot of our students that go to ASU are from Texas."
Steve Patterson, who formerly worked for the Houston Texans -- the team which occupies Reliant Stadium -- negotiated the deal, which is being called the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff.
"We are excited to participate in this unique college football event in the state of Texas against an SEC opponent in Texas A&M," says Patterson.
"Our fans and alumni experienced a fabulous time in Dallas with the Notre Dame game at AT&T Stadium earlier this year and we are excited toprovide another similar opportunity for our fans, alumni and student-athletes. Todd Graham and his coaching staff recruit the state of Texas and this can only serve to enhance that effort."
Reliant Stadium has a capacity of 71,500.
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
The last time the Sun Devils played a game at a neutral site was also an NFL venue in Texas. On Oct. 5, ASU lost 37-34 to Notre Dame at AT&T Stadium in Arlington -- home of the Dallas Cowboys.
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.