ASU to play Texas A&M at Reliant Stadium in 2015
"For us, it's been a goal to play in more games and more events in Texas," ASU senior associate athletic director Rocky Harris said on the Dan Bickley show with Vince Marotta Thursday. "It's a great recruting ground for us. A lot of our students that go to ASU are from Texas."
Steve Patterson, who formerly worked for the Houston Texans -- the team which occupies Reliant Stadium -- negotiated the deal, which is being called the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff.
"We are excited to participate in this unique college football event in the state of Texas against an SEC opponent in Texas A&M," says Patterson.
"Our fans and alumni experienced a fabulous time in Dallas with the Notre Dame game at AT&T Stadium earlier this year and we are excited toprovide another similar opportunity for our fans, alumni and student-athletes. Todd Graham and his coaching staff recruit the state of Texas and this can only serve to enhance that effort."
Reliant Stadium has a capacity of 71,500.
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
The last time the Sun Devils played a game at a neutral site was also an NFL venue in Texas. On Oct. 5, ASU lost 37-34 to Notre Dame at AT&T Stadium in Arlington -- home of the Dallas Cowboys.
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.