ASU ranked 8th in the nation in ESPN's 'Real Top 10'
ESPN used its own team metrics, input from coaches and Las Vegas odds to produce the "Real Top 10," an Insider piece published Wednesday.
The goal is to determine the top-10 teams in the country by asking this question: On a neutral field, who would beat whom? Or, put another way, who would be favored over whom?
In terms of team index metrics, we've incorporated ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI) and Insider contributor Brian Fremeau's FEI metric to help determine our "real ranks." And for our Vegas component, we culled thoughts and individual power ratings from BrianEdwardsSports.com, DonBestAdvantage.com and MadduxSports.com.
On the list, Todd Graham's squad came in at No. 8, one spot behind Wisconsin -- a team the Sun Devils defeated 32-30 back on Sept. 14.
ESPN's Travis Haney had this to say about ASU's surprisingly high ranking:
This is a team you might not expect to see this high, but the strength of the Pac-12 schedule, a win against the team above it (never mind how it happened) and an offense that rates high in our efficiency evaluations are all reasons for the placement.
Despite identical 8-2 records and schedules, it's interesting to see the Sun Devils' primary competition in the Pac-12 South, UCLA, coming in well behind ASU at an average of 17.2 in the metrics.
Florida State and Alabama came in first and second, respectively, on ESPN's list -- which is interesting because the two are switched in all the major national polls at the moment.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.