ASU ranked 8th in the nation in ESPN's 'Real Top 10'
ESPN used its own team metrics, input from coaches and Las Vegas odds to produce the "Real Top 10," an Insider piece published Wednesday.
The goal is to determine the top-10 teams in the country by asking this question: On a neutral field, who would beat whom? Or, put another way, who would be favored over whom?
In terms of team index metrics, we've incorporated ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI) and Insider contributor Brian Fremeau's FEI metric to help determine our "real ranks." And for our Vegas component, we culled thoughts and individual power ratings from BrianEdwardsSports.com, DonBestAdvantage.com and MadduxSports.com.
On the list, Todd Graham's squad came in at No. 8, one spot behind Wisconsin -- a team the Sun Devils defeated 32-30 back on Sept. 14.
ESPN's Travis Haney had this to say about ASU's surprisingly high ranking:
This is a team you might not expect to see this high, but the strength of the Pac-12 schedule, a win against the team above it (never mind how it happened) and an offense that rates high in our efficiency evaluations are all reasons for the placement.
Despite identical 8-2 records and schedules, it's interesting to see the Sun Devils' primary competition in the Pac-12 South, UCLA, coming in well behind ASU at an average of 17.2 in the metrics.
Florida State and Alabama came in first and second, respectively, on ESPN's list -- which is interesting because the two are switched in all the major national polls at the moment.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!