Updated Nov 20, 2013 - 9:41 am
ASU analyst: QB Taylor Kelly is steady, but doesn't get national respect
The junior from Eagle, Idaho is sixth in the Pac-12 in passing efficiency with a rating of 141.2 and his 24 touchdown passes are the third-most in the conference. You'll find Kelly among the national leaders in points responsible for next to names like Johnny Manziel, Jordan Lynch, Marcus Mariota, Tajh Boyd and Jameis Winston. But most importantly, Kelly's got his team in position to win the Pac-12 South.
So why doesn't ASU's signal caller get respect on the national stage?
"That's the million-dollar question right there," ASU radio color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst told Doug and Wolf Wednesday morning. "You look at his numbers and he should. I think it's just because he's not flashy. He doesn't have what the NFL would say is a big-time arm -- he's got a good arm -- and he's very accurate and steady."
But is it fair to judge a player like Kelly based on what the NFL may think of him now, despite the fact that he's got another full season of college ball in front of him?
Van Raaphorst thinks Kelly has done more than enough to prove he's a legitimate college quarterback that can lead a successful program.
"If you're playing D-I ball and you got a scholarship and you're starting, you've made it," he said. "Now we want to hang this moniker on him like 'gee, he's not a star.'"
Kelly, who is 16-7 as a starter, will lead the Sun Devils against UCLA (8-2, 5-2) Saturday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. With a win, Arizona State would clinch their first Pac-12 South crown.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- ASU offensive coordinator Mike Norvell in line for head coaching job?
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?