ASU head coach Todd Graham: Offensive tackle Evan Finkenberg instrumental in team's success
With a win, Arizona State will make its first ever Pac-12 Championship Game appearance -- one that, according to head coach Todd Graham, wouldn't be possible without the 6-foot-4 Finkenberg.
While Graham wasn't responsible for recruiting the offensive lineman out of Cota De Gaza, Calif. back in 2009, he noted Monday that Finkenberg has been absolutely instrumental in what the Sun Devils have been able to accomplish offensively in 2013.
"He's a really talented player and our best offensive lineman," Graham said. "A guy that has that experience and that comes with it. When you look at our players and when they vote for captain and who they respect the most, you're going to see a Taylor Kelly, you're going to see Finkenberg second and then Marion Grice right there with him. That's how our players and coaches feel about him, he's a big-time team leader for us."
With Finkenberg anchoring the line, ASU's offense currently ranks second in the Pac-12 and 10th in the nation in points per game (42.3).
While Graham wasn't attempting to attribute the entire offensive line's success to Finkenberg, he does believe the senior's body of work in Tempe has more than earned him the right to play on Sundays.
"I've got a lot of confidence in our offensive line and just the character of our guys, and Fink is definitely a leader on our team," said Graham. "He doesn't say much, doesn't get much credit and doesn't want any. He just wants us to win games.
"He's very, very talented player. A guy that will probably be a guard at the next level, and I think will play for quite awhile."
Finkenberg will have every opportunity to prove as much Saturday when he goes up against two of the conference's top pass rushers in UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr and defensive end Keenan Graham.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- ASU football players to again participate in concussion study
- Todd Graham, Arizona State Sun Devils are ready to go
- Arizona State football creates 'Honor Row' to recognize current and past military at home games
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.